Hurricane Season 2013
Are you ready?
Hurricane season will began on June 1st and will continue through November 30. Unfortunately, many of us don't begin preparing for a storm until we know that it is brewing, but NOW is the time to prepare yourself, your family, and your community. To take action, ask youself the following questions:
- Do you have a plan to survive a disaster?
- Do you have an emergency supplies kit for your home and your car?
- Are your homeowners' and flood insurance policies in order?
- Have you planned your evacuation?
- Do you have a plan for turning off your utilities?
- Do you have a plan to secure the house/outdoor items/boat?
- Do you have copies of your insurance policies, important documents, and other valuables in a safe place?
- Do you have an inventory and a detailed description of your property?
- Has your roof been inspected in the last nine months?
- Have you had routine maintenance on your trees and shrubs around the house?
- Have you had routine maintenance done on your car and are the tires, including the spare, in good condition?
- Is your emergency phone list up to date?
- Have you made arrangements for your out-of-state communication contact?
- Do you have plans to address the "special needs" of family members?
- Have you decided what you will do with your animals?
- Do you have a recovery plan?
- Are you involved with community preparedness planning and education?
- Have you budgeted for the additional expenses to prepare your home, buy supplies and evacuate? If you need any additional information or help in preparing for a hurricane, contact your local electric utility, the LSU Cooperative Extension Service or an office of emergency preparedness.