Washington - St. Tammany Electric Cooperative
JOB DESCRIPTION: Meter Technician
General Statement of Duties
This position performs the operations and duties of the metering department; performs related work as required.
The primary function of a Meter Technician is to maintain and optimize the performance of all classes of metering on the electrical system. An employee in this class also performs the duties of other employees at Washington St. Tammany Electric Cooperative as required or assigned by supervisory personnel.
Level of Authority
The work is performed under the direct supervision of the Information Technology Supervisor, but extensive leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative.
The principal duties of this class are performed in both a general office environment and an outdoor environment which may involve adverse weather conditions and related hazards in which the employee is subject to potential personal danger.
Essential Job Functions
- Performs testing, installation, and repair of all residential, commercial, and industrial electric meters.
- Perform automated meter reading equipment installations, programming, calibration, and maintenance.
- Prepares a variety of complex reports and assists with special research projects.
- Assist member with developing and understanding their electrical usage.
- Ability to understand cooperative rate schedules and how to apply them.
- Performs special meter readings for the purpose of disconnection and reconnections.
- Responds to member questions and complaints, investigating, as necessary.
- Operates and calibrates test equipment.
- Provides technical information to utilities personnel as to the proper installation and demand classification of electric meters.