Washington St. Tammany Electric Scholarship Program
Washington St. Tammany Electric will award scholarships during a random drawing at its yearly annual meeting. This drawing for college scholarships is open to WST members, their children or legal wards who have been a member at least twelve months as of May 6th of each year and are currently in good standing.
The money for the scholarships will come from unclaimed capital credits and deposits. In the past, any unclaimed money was by law forfeited to the state of Louisiana General Fund. Due to a recent change in the law, WST is allowed to use this unclaimed money for scholarships to members and family to any Louisiana accredited school of higher education.
Entry forms and eligibility requirements will be made available to all high schools in WST's service area or may be picked up at your local WST or downloaded off our website office during the application period.
Any questions regarding this program should be directed to Coylean Schloegel, Manager of Marketing and Economic Development, P.O. Box 697, Franklinton, Louisiana 70438 or phone (985)839-3562.
Eligibility Requirements for Scholarship Program*
- Applicant must be a Washington-St. Tammany member, child, or legal ward of a member for at least twelve consecutive months as of May 6, 2023 and currently in good standing. Applicant must be a high school senior or already enrolled in an institute of higher education. Only one scholarship will be awarded per membership, per family, per year.
- A student can only receive the WST scholarship one time. It is not negotiable. The term of the scholarship will be for one continuous academic year beginning with the fall semester of 2023.
- Scholarships can be used by students to attend, on a full-time basis, any Louisiana-accredited institute of higher learning.
- A first-time college student applying for a WST scholarship must have upon graduation from high school a 2.0 grade point average (on a 4.0 scale).
- A continuing student seeking the scholarship must have achieved a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale) on all prior college work.
- The scholarship funds will be paid to the recipients at the beginning of each semester upon presentation of an official receipt for the payment of full-time tuition. To receive the next semester (or quarter) payment, in addition to a tuition receipt, a student will have to provide evidence that he or she successfully completed the previous semester or quarter (on a full-time basis) with a grade point average of at least 2.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- Recipients will be chosen at a random drawing at the WST Annual Meeting held May 6, 2023.
- Person’s whose names are drawn will be required to provide WST with an official transcript verifying their eligibility within 30 days after the close of the school year.
- Each scholarship awarded shall be up to a total of $1,000.00, payable in two semesters.
- Applicant or their sponsoring member need not be present to win.
- Application must be returned to the WST Franklinton office by 4:00pm May 5, 2023.
- Washington-St. Tammany employees, directors, and their immediate family members are not eligible. (An immediate family member defined as: spouse, child and/or dependants).
APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED BY 4:00 PM, May 5, 2023.
*Availability and eligibility requirements are subject to change without prior notification.